Skip to main content
  • Issued to operators who provide transport services locally for hire or reward and is route described. 
  • Operators who already have passenger vehicle permits but wish to vary from their limitations must apply for a Route (Trip) Variation Permit. 
  • Permit holders who wish to remove their vehicle from the same route for any reason, and replace it with a more efficient vehicle can apply for substitution permit.
  • Permit holders who wish to change the names of the operator and replace it with another, either an individual or a company can apply for a transfer permit.
Who is eligible?

Reserved for citizens only.

How do I get this service?
  • Download and complete Form RTS 1 - Application for Initial Grand or Amendment or Renewal of Road Transport Permit and submit along with supporting documents at any permit-issuing Department of Road Transport and Safety office for approval. Application forms are also at enquiries desk . 
  • Pay the application fee of BWP 130.00 to the Registration and licensing officer. 
  • First-time applicants are expected to attend a Transport advisory board hearing at the appointed time.
  •  It is at this point that the decision would be made.  
  •  Approved first-time applicants and renewal applicants must take the vehicle to the Transport Inspectors for inspection.
  •  If inspection is failed, applicants must comply with Inspector's instructions to rectify any vehicle issues that may have caused the failure and reapply.  Applicants' whose vehicles pass the inspection are issued inspection certificates.
  •  Take Inspection certificate and all of the other supporting documents to the Registration and licensing officer and pay permit fee.
  •  Once a fee is paid, the permit would be issued. 
What supporting documents are required?
  • Certified copy of a valid National Identity card (Omang)
  • Copy of the vehicle's registration document (blue book).
  • Copy of vehicle's valid roadworthiness certificate (upon certificate collection).
  • Vehicle inspection certificate (only if permit application is approved by the board).
  • Copy of certificate of incorporation (companies).
  • Copy of one director's national identity card (companies).
  • Copy of shareholder's certificates (companies).
  • Copy of business proposal (new applicants).
  • Expired permit (renewals).
  • Expired token (renewals).
How long will this service take?
  • 39 working days for new applicants
  • Immediate for renewals
Where can I obtain this service?

Department of  Road Transport and Safety  Offices - Permit issuing offices

  • Gaborone Old Supplies Office
  • Francistown
  • Ghanzi
  • Lobatse
  • Kanye
  • Molepolole
  • Mahalapye
  • Tsabong
  • Kasane
  • Maun 
  • Selebi Phikwe
  • Serowe
  • Palapye

Opening hours are from 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Where can I get more information on this Service

Public Relations Unit

Department of Road Transport and Safety 

Tshomarelo House Botswana Savings Bank Building

Private Bag 0054  

Gaborone Botswana

Tel. (267) 368-8600

Fax.(267) 397-1117/1114

Email: mtcpro [at]

News & Updates

Apr 21, 2024
Test by Creator 01
Botswana seychelles seek to build relations
Dec 03, 2023
Botswana seychelles seek to build relations
The acting speaker receives the ambassador of Ukraine to Botswana
Dec 01, 2023
The acting speaker receives the ambassador of Ukraine to Botswana
BIDPA cultivates research skills among Kgalagadi North learners
Jan 31, 2023
BIDPA cultivates research skills among Kgalagadi North learners
Nov 12, 2023
BoFiNet's Robust Connectivity Elevates 2024/2025 Budget Presentation